Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Shredded Pork. What? It's Paleo

What up. It's James. I'll be your host this evening, melting faces and guiding you through the fatty deliciousness that is pork. I know what you're thinking. Pork? Healthy? Yes. On paleo, you can have as much bacon as you please. I even found a paleo recipe for chocolate covered bacon. Now I'm not actually advocating eating tons of bacon covered in chocolate, it's just a beautiful thought.

But I digress. The point of this blog, aside from espousing the benefits of paleo and filling my wife's somewhat odd need to blog (this is seriously her third or fourth attempt at a blog, and thus far the longest lasting) is to tell you good people what we ate and how we made it. Again, I know what you're thinking. Again, the answer is yes. We really do think we are so rad that a blog  needed to be created solely about what we eat for dinner.

This will be my second, and final, attempt at digressing to the actual point of this evenings blog. What we ate for dinner. Shredded pork, onions, green and red peppers, and spinach all sauteed and topped with sliced avocado. I'll admit, we cheated a bit on the pork. We bought a pre-seasoned cut of pork from HEB. That was a mistake. The pork was good, but our Carolina Pork recipe is better. Next time HEB will not tempt me with visions of laziness. I will do it the right way. So I took this inferior  pork, threw it in the crock pot, added some chicken broth (all we had), red pepper flakes, garlic powder, cumin, and a little bit of apple cider vinegar to help it shred. The crock pot worked its magic for nine hours, and the pork shredded with a fork quite easily. I diced all the veggies, and sauteed the onions and peppers together, while doing the spinach in a separate pan. We sautee everything in coconut oil, simply because it contains a better fat than olive oil. Coconut oil contains more fat than olive oil, but much of it is MCT (medium-chain triglycerides) which are more easily processed by the liver and thereby less is stored as excess fat in the body. Just dropped some knowledge on you. The more you know..

I am now going to attempt to write the recipe. It may be pointless, I did not measure one thing. Ingredients were dumped in until I felt it looked good. Keep in mind the pork was pre-seasoned, so this was just extra lovin'.

3 lbs pork
Almost covered the pork in the crockpot with chicken broth
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbs cumin
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 an onion
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
4 oz spinach



I realize the pork doesn't look amazing in the picture, but we aren't photographers. Just master chefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment