Monday, March 25, 2013

Experimental Stuffed Meatcakes

"Meatcake, or meatloaf cake, is a cake or other dessert look-alike that is made with meat in a meatloaf style, and not a pastry..."



This concoction is definitely not a pastry as it is all meat. I've mastered creating a menu of items to cook throughout the weekdays, but the weekend is usually a free for all. Sundays is the most inconsistent day, which is totally fine...until you run out of options. James worked this particular Sunday and accidentally took the car keys that I needed with him. Now, you already know that I am the queen of creating a meal from random ingredients, so I wasn't too concerned. 

I have a secret hatred for meatloaf, most likely because I was a vegetarian for several years and was scared to death of a loaf made of pure meat. So, instead of making meatloaf I decided to make meatcakes in a muffin tin. I looked through the pantry and fridge and came up with three different things to stuff the little meatcakes with. 

1. Jalapeno - diced
2. Sun-dried tomatoes - diced
3. Roasted red pepper/spinach pesto (not as flavorful as I anticipated, but it was still good)

All I did was season the beef and then create a little patty at the bottom of each tin. From there, I sprinkled the above ingredients into the tin (separately, of course). I then added a little patty on top of the filling. I really didn't want to turn this into a meatcake surprise, so I topped each little cake with some of the filling so that we could tell them apart. 

All in all, these were pretty good. Not bad, considering it was thrown together out of desperation. I will make these again, but plan ahead with the ingredients so that they are a little more jazzed up. 

Random Thoughts
1. I spent Thursday-Saturday in Austin with Ashley, Josh, and the kids. The boys and I had a great time wii dancing. I accidentally forgot to let them win, but I will remember to next time. I can't help it, I was a competitive dancer for years.  Ashley: thanks for sending James the video, it is actually quite hilarious. 
2. I haven't been to Crossfit since Wednesday, which sucks. However, the 10 calluses I ripped open are finally starting to heal.
3. Have you heard about the snow in the north?! I am SO happy that I am not there now. 
4. James and I fly to Cleveland in less than four weeks!!!!!!!!!!!! 
5. If I could be anywhere in the world right now, I would be at Los Tres with my North Carolina peeps. 
6. Does anyone have a pillow brand that they recommend? I want new pillows but never know which ones to buy. 
7. I love Pink's new song "Just Give Me a Reason"
8. I got my Toms wedges in the mail from Teresa. They're the most adorable little wedges ever. 
9. I think I forgot to give my new phone number to a lot of my friends and family at home. My b. If you're one of those people, please email me so I can give it to you. 

Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
1 large roasted red pepper
1/8 cup coconut milk
1 handful spinach
1/8 onion, sauteed
1 tbsp coconut flour
Garlic Powder
Salt
Pepper

1. Combine all ingredients in Vitamix
2. Be disappointed that you added spinach. It would have been better without.







No comments:

Post a Comment