Sunday, March 17, 2013

Chicken Not-Parmesan

leftovers  plural of left·o·ver
Noun
Something, esp. food, remaining after the rest has been used.
Synonyms
leavings - remains - remainder

Today marks the final day of spring break and the beginning of a very intense week. I guess all of the sleep I received this past week will be put to good use. I really cannot complain, because I am very aware that the majority of people my age do not get spring break any more. Although, if they wanted to teach middle schoolers every day they could get, and would need, a spring break.

This recipe has very little to do with chicken parmesan, but I had no idea what to call it. Basically, I looked in the freezer and fridge and combined all of the things we had leftover and lingering. One of my strongest skills is creating a meal out of random ingredients. This usually happens when I'm too lazy to go to the store I don't want to waste food.

Ingredients
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can tomato paste
1 head broccoli
1 zucchini
1 yellow squash
1/2 bag of organic baby carrots
Jalapeno
Vegetable Broth
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Oregano
Salt
Pepper

Directions
1. Place tomato paste in the Vitamix. I had about 3/4 of a can left
2. Add one tomato paste-sized can of vegetable broth and one of water
3. Place seeded jalapeno and seasonings into Vitamix and mix until completed blended (my jalapeno didn't completely mix)
4. Put the sauce in a pan and simmer on low
5. Trim excess fat and grossness from chicken and save for Ricky Bobby. If you don't have a turtle, then throw away the fat and grossness
6. Pound the chicken with a kitchen mallet or hammer until your chicken is flattened
7. Season chicken breasts with all of the seasonings listed
8. Cook chicken in a skillet with fat of your choice. I should have used bacon fat, but the extra virgin olive oil was within reach so I used that.
9. Steam vegetables (I steamed the broccoli and carrots until they were almost tender and then added the zucchini and squash because they don't take very long)
10. Combine on a plate and enjoy with beverage of choice.




These are the delicious treats I made the other day. Very, very yummy and completely paleo.



Our Superintendent challenged us to take a picture of us wearing a KIPP shirt around Houston during spring break in order to recruit new employees. Here is the picture I am submitting. In return, I get a Starbuck's gift card. Seems fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment