Thursday, March 14, 2013

Down With the Sickness

"Norovirus infection is characterized by nausea, forceful vomiting, watery diarrhea, and abdominal pain, and in some cases, loss of taste. General lethargy, weakness, muscle aches, headache, coughs, and low-grade fever may occur. The disease is usually self-limiting, and severe illness is rare. A small number of people die, mostly the very young, the elderly, and persons with weakened immune systems."

Welcome to my spring break. James McMillan was visited by the norovirus last week, and it wasn't pretty. I would say forceful is a great way to describe his experience with the virus. It hit him quick and was gone after a few rough days (Unfortunately, one of these rough days was our first crossfit competition. He's a champ for completing two intense workouts under these conditions). I, on the other hand have been hanging out with the virus all week. While it hasn't been forceful, I have felt very lethargic, weak, and the worst part of all...I have zero taste for anything.

Now, I completely agree that when you are sick it is not the time to stray away from healthy eating. If anything, it's best to put as many nutrient packed foods into your  body as humanly possible. After six days of pushing my food around my plate with a fork, I've decided I need to eat anything and everything that I can get down.

So, I went to Whole Foods to pick up the ingredients for this delicious treat. After going up and down their isles without finding anything appetizing, I knew I was screwed. I decided to throw caution to the wind and stop at any establishment on Westheimer that caused my mouth to water. Working out the past couple of days has been tragic and I cannot face today's wall balls without some sustenance. I was ready to accept the fate of Subway, Sonic, or even...Taco Bell. After driving several miles and becoming extremely frustrated with traffic I ended up at Randall's with a basket of chicken wings and quinoa pasta.

Stupid.

Chicken Wings
1 pound chicken wings
1 cup Frank's Red Hot
1 tbsp coconut oil
Sprinkle of garlic powder

1. First, I cut off the excess parts of the chicken wing. I will boil these down later and make chicken broth. Or chicken stock. I forget which one...
2. Bake chicken wings at 425 until crispy
3. Warm hot sauce and coconut oil over low heat. Add a sprinkle of garlic powder.

Quinoa Pasta
1/4 box of pasta
Sprinkle of full fat cheese (They put weird chemicals in cheese to make it low fat)

1. Boil for 7 minutes
2. Drain pasta and add a little cheese. (

Disclaimer: This is not paleo, but at this point I'm willing to eat anything. At least quinoa is a super food that is packed with nutrients. Cheese is just delicious, and I'm hoping it will trick me into eating more quinoa.

 






 
 
These are the workouts from the competition on Saturday. It was super hard and super intense and super awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment