Friday, July 12, 2013

Paleo Chocolate Almond Milk

scrump·tious  

/ˈskrəm(p)SHəs/

Adjective
  1. (of food) Extremely appetizing or delicious.
  2. (of a person) Very attractive.
Synonyms
delicious - delightful - superb - luscious - delectable


I set one food goal for the summer and it was to make chocolate almond milk. The reason for this is because I found some at Randall's that was freakin' delish, but definitely not paleo. Does it really  matter? No, but when you have hours of nothing to do...it's worth trying. So, in between my morning and evening WOD I gave it a go, and the result was completely scrumptious.

Pros
1. Easy to make
2. Tastes very fresh
3. There aren't any added ingredients that I can't pronounce

Cons
1. It only stays in the fridge for about 4 days (Not really a con because of how delicious it is. I have no problem consuming it quickly).

Ingredients
1 cup of almonds
4 cups of water
Several squeezes of honey
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
Splash of vanilla extract

Directions
1. Soak 1 cup of almonds in water overnight. Add enough water to cover the almonds
2. Discard the water that the almonds were soaking in and place almonds into the Vitamix, or other powerful blender
3. Add 4 cups of water
4. Blend for 1-2 minutes
5. Use a cheese cloth to remove the almond residue from the milk (Ok, let's be real. I didn't see the point of buying a cheese cloth for this, so I used an old, but clean, t-shirt. It worked fine, but James convinced me to buy a cheese cloth for the next time.)
6. Quickly rinse out the Vitamix
7. Return the almond milk to the Vitamix
8. Add honey, cocoa powder, and vanilla
9. Blend for 30 seconds
10. Pour into a glass jar and put in fridge
11. I put the almond residue from cheese cloth (t-shirt) onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and baked it at 200 degrees for 30ish minutes. I then used the almond flour as the crust for my pumpkin pie bites.







No comments:

Post a Comment